ADVICE TO YOUNG LADIES, by Thomas Broadhurst - 1810
Advice to Young Ladies on the Improvement of the Mind, and the Conduct of Life
by Thomas Broadhurst
An early 19th century handbook consisting of three "addresses" the first of which discusses the necessity of mental improvement in women, their happiness in the marriage state and the superior obligation of Christians, the second address suggests a course of reading with topics such as grammar, logic, geography, polite literature and more, the last address offers general directions to young ladies for the conduct of life. 125 pages. 5.25" by 7.25".
Second Edition published by Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme. London, UK. 1810.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Hand tooled leather covers with gilt trim, to the exterior and interior, are gently warped and show light cracks to the finish. Please see photos.
- Boards show prominent edgewear with additional wear to the gilt trim. Please see photos.
- Corners are bumped.
- Spine is cracked with remnants of gilt lettering and design; ends are bumped.
- Binding is secure.
- Hinges exhibit mild play.
- Marbled endpapers are darkened and show an open tear to the ffep which appears to have been adhered to the front pastedown. Please see photos.
- Endpapers are heavily foxed with writing in pencil to the ffep and flyleaf.
- Rear shoulder shows a slight crack, measuring 2.75", along the lower portion. Please see photos.
- Interior is age-toned with occasional foxing throughout.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are darkened.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.