YOUNG GENTLEMAN & LADY'S MONITOR, J. Hamilton Moore 1792 reader leatherbound
The Young Gentleman and Lady's Monitor and English Teacher's Assistant
by J. Hamilton Moore
An antique, early American edition of a precious guide for all young people. Including a guide to good manners at home and in all domains of life and society. Educational in morality as well as philosophy and the good use of the English language, this volume is a collection of the most relevant texts by various authors from the political figures of Ancient Rome, examples of worth and virtue, to biblical references, all contributing to the work's richness. The young gentleman or lady will thereby learn how to behave well in any circle of society, as well as valuable advice to earn the respect and consideration of their peers. Hamilton Moore is also the author of the Practical Navigator and Seaman's New Daily Assistant. 414 pages. 4.25 x 6.5 inches.
Early American print. Containing a table of contents as well as an vintage publisher's ads for Universal Geography and The History of Man by John Payne at end of volume.
Published by: William Durell, New York, 1792.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume shows moderate to pronounced overall wear with mild cracking of covers and strong toning with some staining inside.
- Leather covers show pronounced overall shelf wear and edgewear from rubbing and chipping.
- Boards show considerable aging from rubbing and cracking notably and foremost along shoulders of spine, and some chipping which is persistent on returns.
- Corners are bumped, with discreet scattered chipping.
- Spine has red text block with faded gilt and filigree, and displays overall cracking and rubbing with exposed parts.
- Spine ends are uneven from rubbing and possibly some chipping, while tail of spine is going. (See photos)
- Binding is fragile mostly along hinges and includes a partially detached signature with upper part still sewn. (See photos)
- Hinges display some cracking and are split for a short length at head and tail. (See photos)
- Endpapers display some severe toning as well as foxing and overall aging.
- Previous owners' marks and signatures on endpapers. (See photos)
- Interior is considerably age-toned with frequent staining, mostly marginal and also present into text.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Inside pages show occasional creases, small spots that might be ink stains on page edges, and overall edgewear from rubbing of borders.
- Text block edges exhibit pronounced toning with some darkening along head and foxing along fore edge and foot.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore