NARRATIVE OF...AN EXPEDITION TO CANDY, by Arthur Johnston - 1810 [1st Ed]
Narrative of the operations of a detachment in an expedition to Candy, in the island of Ceylon, in the year 1804; with some observations on the previous campaign, and on the nature of Candian warfare.
by Major Arthur Johnston
FRIST EDITION, published by: C. and R. Baldwin, London. 1810
Hardback is overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Full marbled leather binding.
- Binding is lightly shaken.
- Text block is solid and strong.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Spine has red title block with gilt lettering and bands.
- Ex libris plate on front pastedown.
- Perimeters of covers have gilt lines visible around all 3 sides, except where rubbed off.
- Covers exhibit expected wear from shelf and handling, including some dirt, scuffs, a few fine scratches, etc.
- Lower quarter of spine exhibits significant scuffing.
- Spine ends are chipped, exposing headbands.
- Corners of covers are bumped and rubbed with exposed board. Leather is peeling from back lower corner.
- Front shoulder is cracked nearly 2 inches from head. Stitching and pastedown are still intact.
- Back cover is mostly detached, being held in place by a thread and part of the back pastedown.
- Inside pages are darkened, with moderate scattered foxing/smudges. On some pages there is minor fading to the ink, yet it is still clear to read.
- Quite possibly was professionally repaired in early 20th century, gluing spine and adding new endpapers. Feps are age-toned with foxing, but much lighter than text block.
- Front pastedown has some pencil writing in addition to book plate, as well as ink sig of library on facing ffep.
- Pages 36-47 exhibit a stain in lower corner margin.
- Map was roughly torn from book, leaving only the legend.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
This expedition happened during the last years of when Kandy (Candy) was still an independent Sinhala Kingdom in what is now known as Sri Lanka (Ceylon). It didn't officially fall under British rule until 1815. It was apparently a popular island kingdom, with a long history of repelling invasions, particularly once the Europeans gained a foothold in the 16th century.
This book is written by a military leader, and as such sees the country through that lens. He describes the land and the people, as well as how the British could adapt better to this very different environment and culture. As far as English writings go, this is a unique glimpse into native dwellers of Sri Lanka while they still maintained their independence and culture. Instead of a print-on-demand copy, you can enjoy an original copy of the book! 156 pages. 5.5 x 8.5 inches.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore