THE GLORIOUS MYSTERY, by Arthur Machen - 1924 [1st ed., DJ]
The Glorious Mystery
by Arthur Machen
edited by Vincent Starrett
First edition. Chicago: Covici-McGhee Co., 1924
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition, with a GOOD DJ under Mylar.
- Blue superfine cloth covers are mostly clean, with gilt illustration.
- Boards show some edgewear, darkening around periphery. Corners are bumped and scuffed. See photos.
- Spine has gilt text dimmed and is darkened, with crushed ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Pastedowns and feps have some light foxing, bookseller sticker. See photos.
- Interior is age-toned; some light foxing at page edges. Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks. See photos.
- Text block edges have deckle fore and foot edges, blue ink at head.
- Original DJ is nicely preserved behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- Close examination of DJ shows darkening at edges and spine, heavy edgewear and bumping, many small chips especially at spine ends and corners, return corners are all clipped. See photos.
219 pages. 5.25 x 7.5 inches
In 1924, when this work was published, The Glorious Mystery constituted a "new volume of [the] collected tales and sketches" by the Welsh author Arthur Machen (1868-1947). Machen was well known already in the 1890s for his supernatural, fantasy, and horror stories; this collection centers on the Holy Grail, or Sangraal, the "Glorious Mystery" of the title.
In the original dust jacket, which advertises this as a genuine First Edition. One thousand copies printed.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore