THRILLING ADVENTURES OF HUNTERS, IN THE OLD WORLD AND NEW, by Henry C. Watson - 1853
Thrilling Adventures of Hunters in the Old World and NEW
by Henry C. Watson
Published by Kelley and Brother. Boston, MA. 1853.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Tooled leather boards with rich detail have been maintained and are in good condition showing signs of gentle aging.
- The leather is dry and cracked in areas.
- Minor edgewear.
- The corners show wear with partially exposed boards.
- The leather along the uppermost portion of the shoulders shows subtle cracks.
- The spine features gilt lettering and illustration with design detail, the lustre of which has diminished in areas.
- The spine shows an abrasion measuring roughly 1".
- The textblock is securely bound to the spine with all leafs in tact.
- All illustrations are present.
- Marbled pastedowns and endpapers.
- Ffep bears writing in pencil.
- Foxing throughout.
- Pages 293/294 show a significant tear running from the top to the center. Please see photos.
- Page 15/16 shows a minor tear to outer margin.
- Textblock edges are darkened.
- Page 24 shows pencil mark to lower margin.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Filled with stunning B&W illustrations along with eight beautiful hand tinted color illustrations including frontis and half title page. Adventures on a world wide scale including areas as far flung as China, South Africa, Maine, and the Rocky Mountains. 512 pages. 6" by 9.25".
The life of the hunter possesses the charm without the tears of the warriors career. There is a fierce and far delight in the chase, which causes the heart to beat quick and the blood to bound in the veins. Yet this pleasure is obtained without the infliction of injuries upon mankind. When the prize is gained, and the hunter feels the proud thrill of triumph, there are no groans of dying men, or wails of widows and orphans to mar his noble enjoyment. We do not wonder that in all countries, savage and civilized, hunting is a favorite sport as well as a source of subsistence.
The object of the present work is to illustrate the perils of the hunter's life, on the Old World and the New. In carrying out our design, we have endeavored to give not merely a bald account of the dangers of the chase, but such adventures as show how men may triumph over them, together with others that illustrate the different characteristics of hunters in various parts of the world. We believe that the entertainment and instruction to be derived from such a work must be obvious to all.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #artbooks #usedbooks #bookbotique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks