THE OLDEN TIME SERIES: Gleanings Chiefly from Old Newspapers of...Massachusetts , by Henry M. Brooks - 1886 [6 Vols]
The Olden Time Series: Gleanings Chiefly from Old Newspapers of Boston and Salem, Massachusetts - in 6 Volumes
by Henry M. Brooks
In The Olden Time Series, Henry Brooks has pulled together strange facts, interesting advertisements, and curiosities which can be later regarded as worthy of consideration and attention, for their strangeness or their particularity. From curiosities of the lottery, to literary oddities, passing through the New England Sunday, strange punishments practiced in the past, and curious or quaint advertisements of the past, these books are filled with these perspective illustrations and terms from another time. Altogether, an entertaining little collection of the curiosities from olden times. 73pp (vol 1) + 99pp (vol 2) + 65pp (vol 3) + 153pp (vol 4) + 90pp (vol 5) + 127pp (vol 6). 5 x 7 inches.
Six volumes. Line drawings inside. Volumes 1 & 3 include ad pages at end.
Presumed First Edition. Published by: Ticknor and Company, Boston, MA, 1886.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volumes display moderate overall wear and aging with some fragile bindings.
- Brown covers feature red and black line drawings and filigree decoration on front.
- Covers display overall toning and darkening, with some edgewear and rubbing, as well as light bumping of corners.
- Spines feature black text, and display mild to moderate fading with rubbing and softening of ends.
- Binding is overall secure in all volumes, with occasional gaps and partly loose pages. (See photos)
- Interior is well-preserved in all volumes with mild age-toning and occasional marginal staining.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are strongly toned, and darkened along head, and show occasional staining and smudges.
- Volume 1 & 4 have a more pronounced bump: vol 1 to upper corner on front, and vol 4 to lower corner on front.
- Volume 3 has a partially detached page. (See photos)
- Volume 5 shows some fading to spine.
- Volume 6 exhibits a damp stain to lower corner on textblock.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Henry Mason Brooks (1822-1898) served a decade as secretary to The Essex Institute (1848-1992) in Salem, MA, "a literary, historical and scientific society." He was a prolific writer whose specialized in shining the light of his pen on times gone by. In addition to books, he submitted many articles to journals and magazines.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore