THE WITCH OF BLACKBIRD POND, by Elizabeth George Speare - 1958 [Signed]
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
by Elizabeth George Speare
FLAT SIGNED on front fep. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1958.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition with VERY GOOD DJ.
- Vintage volume features pictorial cloth covers, and great illustrated DJ.
- Book displays minor overall wear and with aging to covers and interior, with a remarkably well preserved DJ.
- Covers are whitened along all edges as well as some spots. Affects illustration some.
- Boards display a little more pronounced toning along front shoulder. (See photos)
- Spine has mildly softened ends.
- Binding is secure throughout.
- Pastedowns on front and back display some glue from covers along head edge. (See photos)
- Interior displays minimal age-toning, with rare smudges in margins.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock shows perforations along fore edge, as typical of this vintage.
- DJ looks great behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- DJ has price along head edge of front return. (See photos)
- DJ is overall remarkably well preserved, with gentle overall toning and minor edgewear, with chipping to corners and spine ends.
249 pages. 5.75 x 8.5 inches.
Handsome vintage binding features pictorial cloth covers with a great illustrated DJ and beautifully illustrated endpapers.
This is a novel about a terrifying yet very real aspect of society in colonial America. The heroine is a courageous, free-minded young girl, who must face the intolerance and bigotry of her peers. When her unconventional character and education bring about general suspicion, Kit Tyler has only her own courage, as well as some unlikely friends, to offer comfort and support as she becomes victim to the horrible persecution of witch hunting. It is a tale full of courage, hardship, and battle against intolerance and fear.
Elizabeth George Speare (1908-1994) was an American writer of children's books, best known for historical novels, of which this is the first. About her work, a biographer described her writing as more than just an entertaining escape, because "in exploring universal problems and offering timeless values, she offers them hope for the present and the future as well." [Wikipedia]
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
We invite you to view our Shipping & Returns policies, or to contact us with any questions.