THE HISTORY OF APPLEJACK, by Harry B. Weiss - 1954 [Signed]
The History of Applejack or Apple Brandy in New Jersey from Colonial Times to the Present
by Harry B. Weiss
Signed by the author. Trenton NJ: New Jersey Agricultural Society, 1954
Softback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Glossy white wraps are mostly clean, with photo illustration and black title.
- Wraps show some edgewear, a small closed tear at back cover, a closed tear and creased corner on front cover. Corners are softened, with lower front corner creased. See photos.
- Spine has no text and is creased, with bumped ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Signed and inscribed on title page.
- Illustrations, black and white photographs, are bright and clear throughout.
- Interior is gently age-toned. Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
265 pages. 6.75 x 9.75 inches
As the author notes in his introduction, "this history should have been written 120 years ago when there were 388 cider distilleries in New Jersey, instead of at the present time when there are only two." This book is therefore by necessity a work of reconstruction, tracing the history of cider production, refining, and consumption in New Jersey. Written by Harry B. Weiss (1883-1972), an entomologist who was for many years director of the bureau of plant industry of the New Jersey Department of Agriculture. Dr. Weiss drew on many local sources for his research, benefiting from the personal memories and physical artifacts kept by farmers around the state.
Signed and inscribed by the author on title page.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore