THE PICTURE BOOK OF PEONIES, by Niigata Prefecture Japan - c.1936$1,200.00
The Picture Book of Peonies
by the Niigata Prefecture Japan
Japan: Niigata Prefecture, c.1936.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- A elephant portfolio of 27 striking color printed plates with each plate portraying 2 peonies.
- Volume displays mild overall wear and aging, and is overall well preserved.
- Green covers feature faded gilt lettering on front, and exhibit overall rubbing and scuffing.
- Boards are exposed at corners.
- Spine is rubbed and is super fragile. Book is bound with cord.
- Binding is super fragile.
- Full-color illustrations are vibrant and well preserved, showing only minor aging and wear. (See photos)
- Illustrations are well-protected with intact tissue guards, with letterpress English and Japanese descriptions. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned and is well preserved.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are tinted along head and foot, and show mild expected toning along fore edge.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Pages not numbered. Approx. 110 pages. 15.25 x 10 inches.
The peony flower is a flower native to Asia, Europe and Western North America. It is the traditional floral symbol of China, the state symbol of Indiana, and the 12th wedding anniversary flower. Representative of riches and honors, peonies are colorful and lush, associated with romance and good fortune, an omen of a happy marriage and a bright future. This is a magnificent picture book of these beautiful flowers. A brief text on the culture of Japanese tree peonies accompanies the plates. Niigata was a center for peony cultivation and this book was likely issued to promote export trade to the west.
Lavishly illustrated with vibrant, colorful illustrations. 27 plates with two peonies each. Tissue guards have text and descriptions in English and Japanese. Includes an appendix giving practical information about the culture of Japanese tree peonies.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore