VANISHING PICTURES: A NOVEL COLOUR BOOK WITH CHANGING PICTURES, ill. by Helena Maguire - 1895 [Complete, Original]
Vanishing Pictures: A Novel Colour Book with Changing Pictures
illustrated by Helena Maguire
First edition. London: Ernest Nister, and New York: E.P. Dutton & Co., 
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Full color illustrated covers allude to the moving pictures inside.
- Thin boards show some warping, wear, smudges, edgewear. Corners are softened and frayed. See photos.
- Spine is brown cloth, no text, with chipped and frayed ends. See photos.
- Binding is intact but tender. Stitches show at some openings. Front end paper has been reattached. See photos.
- Pastedowns and feps are toned, have inscription inside front cover, chip at top edge, closed tear at lower edge. See photos.
- Illustrations are bright and clear.
- Six rotating picture wheels are intact and turn, with original ribbon pulls.
- Interior is gently age-toned, with some smudges, stains, and light edgewear. See photos.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
14 pages. 8.75 x 9 inches
Aptly titled, the illustrations in this nursery book vanish as the wheels turn, with "dioramic effects." Poems and sepia coloured pictures accompany the six chromolithographic wheels with dissolving pictures. Watercolor illustrations by Helena Maguire (1860-1909), illustrator of many childrens books.
The six illustrated wheels are in perfect working order, with original ribbon pulls.
Inscribed "J. Matilda Wallace Xmas 1895" inside the front cover.
No date on the book but known to be 1895. Published by Ernest Nister in London and E.P. Dutton in New York. Printed in Bavaria.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore