THE HOLY EXPERIMENT: OUR HERITAGE FROM WILLIAM PENN 1644-1944, by Violet Oakley - 1950 [Signed Ltd. Ed.]
The Holy Experiment:
Our Heritage from William Penn 1644-1944
by Violet Oakley
Limited, numbered edition, signed by the author. Philadelphia: Cogslea Studio Publications, 1950
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Blue cloth covers are mostly clean, with gilt decoration and text; half bound in buckram.
- Boards show a bump at head edge, a mark on back cover. Corners are scuffed. See photos.
- Spine, with no text, is bright with crushed ends.
- Binding is secure.
- End papers/ pastedowns show little to no sign of age or wear.
- Illustrations are bright and clear.
- Interior exhibits marginal toning. Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
158 pages. 9 x 12 inches.
Volume produced in conjunction with the Tercentenary of the birth of William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania. With prints illustrating the mural cycle designed by Violet Oakley (1874-1961) for the Pennsylvania State Capitol at Harrisburg, together with the artist's explication of her designs.
A handsome book, on cream paper, generously printed in black and red, with black and white illustrations in the style of wood cuts.
PROVENANCE: Mr. and Mrs. William V.K. Shepard of Wayne, PA were advance subscribers to this copy of the book.
A limited edition of 1000 copies, issued to subscribers. Signed and numbered by the author.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore