OPERA PHILOSOPHICA, by Nicolaus Steno - 1910 [2 Vols; 140/350]
Opera Philosophica, Two Volumes
edited by Vilhelm Maar at the Expense of the Carlsbergfond
Published by: Vilhelm Tryde, Copenhagen, DK. 1910.
Hardbacks are overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Volumes display some cracking of shoulders, and mild toning inside with well-preserved interior.
- Half leatherbound.
- Covers feature elegant colored design on paper, yet show overall fading, pronounced on Vol 1 on front.
- Boards display notable overall edgewear, with rubbing and some occasional chips with cracking of leather.
- Corners are bumped, and rubbed with exposed boards.
- Spines feature two red titleblocks with gilt and 4 raised bands, and display general fading and rubbing.
- Spine ends are cracked and chipped on both volumes. (See photos)
- Shoulders are severely cracked at extremities.
- Feps show some foxing. Front fep in Vol 1 features signature by the editor. (See photos)
- Interior is mildly toned in both volumes, and overall well-preserved, as are illustrations.
- Interior foxing is limited to very scarce tiny dot here and there.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are stippled, and show some rubbing and scuffing along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
264 + 365 pages.9 x 12 inches.
Nicolaus Steno was a celebrated Danish scientist, considered a pioneer in his time in both anatomy and geology. He became a Catholic bishop in his later years. Although the possessor of a deep knowledge of classical texts on science he had begun to seriously question accepted knowledge of the natural world. His written works represent a tremendous source of knowledge not only of the anatomy of animals & man as well as geology, but also of how they were studied in his time, and why he could rightfully be considered a pioneer in his field.
TWO VOLUMES LIMITED EDITION. No. 140 of 350 copies. Illustrated with B&W plates, and a couple foldouts. Includes a biographical introduction in English by the editor.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore