THE FLYING DUTCHMAN, by W.J. Neale - 1840 [2 Vols]
The Flying Dutchman: A Legend of the High Seas [2 Vols]
by William Johnson Neale
First American Edition is published by: Carey & Hart, Philadelphia, PA. 1840.
Hardbacks are overall in GOOD++ condition.
- Bindings are tight and strong.
- Covers are quarter bound blue cloth and plain paper.
- Some time ago, the book was professionally rebacked, with cloth died to match the spine covering.
- Title paste on spine of vol 1 is reproduced to match original.
- Boards are soiled, with rough worn edges and scuffing
- Inside pages are gently age-toned, with scattered foxing, some chipping and very few stray marginal marks.
- Text block edges are dusty
- These books were obviously read many times, and spent a bit of time un-shelved. Considering, they were well kept, and in collectible condition!
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Written by a man who knew ships and the sea, William Johnstoun Nelson Neale spins a yarn of romance and adventure featuring the nautical folklore of the eerie Flying Dutchman ghost ship. Vol1: 195 pages + Vol 2: 192 pages. 4.75 x 7.75
This particular set of books has an especially interesting provenance. The owner signature on title page is that of the Commodore James Biddle (per pencil notation on front pastedown). This respected US Naval Officer was played a significant role in American-Asian negotiations in the 19th century.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.