A CLOUD OF WITNESSES, edited by David Scott - 1840
with introductory essay by David Scott
Title continues: "for the Royal Prerogatives of Jesus Christ: or, last Speeches and Testimonies of those who suffered for the truth in Scotland, in the Years 1681-1688." Putting together some of the greatest and most moving speeches and testimonies of Christian martyrs, here is a magnificent tribute to those who died for their beliefs and in the honor and glory of Jesus Christ. Scorned and persecuted by the world, these men remained for centuries to come, and are still now, an immense source of inspiration not only for Christians, but also for all those who stand by their beliefs throughout the world. The men who wrote these letters, and pronounced these speeches and testimonies, suffered death, imprisonment, exile and excommunication, in the name of the Savior, persecuted by a world which was not worthy of them. Including in appendix the Queensferry Paper, the Torwood excommunication and more, this collection of letters, last speeches, and testimonies will revive the faith of those who were not so strong as these men, and awe those who have no faith. 396 pages. 4.75 x 7.5 inches.
With an introductory essay and a preface. Includes the Queensferry Papers, the Torwood Excommunication and more in appendix. Stated 17th edition.
Published by: Piercy & Reed, Power-Press, New York, 1840.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Volume is in overall good condition, with moderate wear and aging.
- Brown covers show some rubbing with slight warping on back.
- Boards are exposed on corners and otherwise display pronounced edgewear with small bumps and some cracking.
- Spine features text and lines in gilt, and has bumped and dry ends, with a 0.75" x 1.25" chip to head. (See photos)
- Spine shoulders display some cracking.
- Binding is tight and secure, with some loosening at hinges.
- Pastedowns and endpapers show severe toning and wear, with staining and some wormholes to lower end of hinge on front.
- Front fep has a crease to lower corner. (See photos)
- Interior is age-toned with pronounced foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are stippled, and show commensurate toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore