THE ORATIONS OF DEMOSTHENES, by Thomas Leland - 1777 [Vol 2]$125.00
The Orations of Demosthenes, on Occasions of Public Deliberation. To which is added The Oration Of Æschines Against Ctesiphon and The Oration Of Demosthenes on the Crown. Translated into English, with Notes. Volume the Second: The Third Edition Corrected.
translated by Thomas Leland
Vol 2 only. Dublan: W. Sleater & W, Halhead, 1777
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Brown leatherbound volume from the late 18th century, has a rounded spine with 6 raised bands.
- Boards show some scuffing, with rubbed edges, and more than an inch exposed board at front head corner.
- Corners are bumped with exposed board. (See Photos).
- Front and back shoulders are cracked along length, with some chipping along back shoulder.
- Spine has red and black title blocks, is sunned, and leather is notably cracked along length and through text.
- Binding is firm, with minimal play.
- Back hinge is cracked along length behind endpaper, held securely by threads.
- Endpapers and feps have moderate foxing, with creasing, and light pencil and owner's mark. (See Photos).
- Title page has ink owner's sig. (See Photos).
- Interior is age-toned, with expected warping to text block.
- Several pages show dog ear creases (ex: pgs 81, 197, 212) and a couple head corners have tiny bumps (ex: pgs 158-162). (See Photos)
- A few inside pages have marginal ink (ex: pgs 212, 244). (See Photos).
- Text block edges are age toned with dust, small stain to fore edge near head and faded ink at head. (See Photos).
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
396 pages. 1.5 x 8 inches.
Includes orations on the Regulation of the State, on the Halonesus, on the Treaty with Alexander, of Dinarchus against Demosthenes, as well as notes on the Phillipic Orations. Other appendices include the Oration of Aeschines against Ctesiphon, and the Oration of Demonsthenes on the Crown.
Demosthenes (384-322 BCE) was a prominent Greek statesman and orator of ancient Athens. His orations constitute the last significant expression of Athenian intellectual prowess and provide a thorough insight into the politics and culture of ancient Greece. [Wikipedia]
Thomas Leland (1722–1785) was an Irish historian, translator and academic and the author of a notable early Gothic novel: Longsword, Earl of Salisbury. [Wikipedia]
EDITION POINTS: Volume 2
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore