WORKS OF THE RIGHT REV. THOMAS NEWTON -1787 [6 Vols]
The Works of the Right Reverend Thomas Newton, D.D., Late Lord Bishop of Bristol, and Dean of St Paul's, London: with some Accounts of his Life, and Anecdotes of several of his Friends, written by himself
in Six Volumes
Second Edition. London: John, Francis and Charles Rivington, 1787.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volumes are overall well preserved and show moderate to mild aging and wear.
- Quarter-bound in leather.
- Covers feature colored marble paper on boards, and display moderate overall scuffing and edgewear.
- Expertly reinforced corners have more rubbing to marbled paper, with some of the white completely exposed. Volume 4 is scraped less than 1.5" showing some actual board.
- Most covers are starting to detach, with some covers hanging on to text block by threads.
- Volume 3: both covers are detached. (See photos)
- Spines feature title in gilt, and display overall fading and rubbing.
- Spine ends are rubbed with some chipping.
- Binding is overall secure through textblock in all six volumes.
- Front pastedowns have signature from previous owner. Volumes 1 and 5 show pencil writing under signature, with some green pencil in volume 1. (See photos)
- Interior shows moderate age-toning with occasional small spots. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Page 159 exhibits signs of professional page repair at foot margin. (See photos)
- Some pages inside exhibit small stains.
- Text block edges display commensurate toning and wear, and are darker along head, with some small spots and dust.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
194 pgs (vol 1) + 406 pgs (vol 2) + 515 pgs (vol 3) + 383 pgs (vol 4) + 410 pgs (vol 5) + 388 pgs (vol 6). 5.25 x 8.25 inches.
Thomas Newton (1704-1782) was an English biblical scholar, cleric, and author. He served as the bishop of Bristol from 1761 to 1782. These volumes include a stunning collection of his essays, dissertations and other works on the Bible, the origin of mankind, public worship, and other aspects of human life and character, as well as numerous anecdotes from his life and those of his friends.
Six volumes. Each volume includes a table of contents.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore