THE WORKS OF ALEXANDER POPE, by William Roscoe - 1824 [10 Vols]$525.00
The Works of Alexander Pope
by William Roscoe
A priceless collection of ten volumes on the life and works of the great English poet. Featuring two engravings of the author, notes and remarks, as well as an estimate of his poetical character and writings, this lot is as much a biography as a compilation of Pope's works. Each volume includes a table of contents, and volume 1 includes a preface as well as a biography; while volume 2 contains an author's preface; volumes 3 to 7 his poetical works, his essays, his verse and prose writings, volume 7 including his Preface to Homer's Iliad and his Postscript to the same writer's Odyssey; and volumes 8 to 10 a collection of his various letters. Volume 1 contains a fold-out facsimile of an original letter by Pope. 585 pages (vol 1) + 384 pages (vol 2) + 382 pages (vol 3) + 392 pages (vol 4) + 407 pages (vol 5) + 479 pages (vol 6) + 502 pages (vol 7) + 584 pages (vol 8) + 484 pages (vol 9) + 562 pages (vol 10). 5.5 x 8.5 inches.
Ten volumes. Handsome 19th C custom leather binding with elaborate bright gilt trimming along all edges as well as textblock. Illustrated with engravings of the author. With fold-out facsimile of author's letter. Ex-libris sticker on front pastedown in all volumes.
Published by: C. & J. Rivington, London, 1824.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volumes are in overall very good condition with minor commensurate wear on covers and interior.
- Leather covers feature decorative lines in gilt and some minimal overall rubbing, mostly to perimeters.
- Boards exhibit mild edgewear from rubbing, and occasional bumps and chips.
- Corners are gently rubbed.
- Spines have five raised bands and display text and decorations in gilt, with some rubbing to ends and raised bands.
- Binding is secure.
- Yellow endpapers display mild to moderate wear from occasional staining, fading and toning, and exhibit ex-libris sticker on front pastedowns. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned with occasional scattered foxing especially to feps.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages have corner creases, and edge foxing.
- Textblock has all edges gilt, with mild scuffing and creasing of pages occasionally visible.
- Volume 8 has a chip along lower edge of back cover, from more pronounced rubbing, as well as a small bump to fore edge of back cover. (See photos)
- Volume 10 exhibits more pronounced scuffing to foot of textblock and creasing of pages is visible. (See photos)
- Fold-out facsimile in volume 1 shows pronounced scattered foxing.
- Some books have a light scent upon thumbing.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore