NINETEENTH CENTURY MUSIC - 1985 [Vol 9, 1st Ed]
Nineteenth Century Music - Vol 9 of The Garland Library of the History of Western Music
edited by Ellen Rosand
with Essays by: Edward T. Cone, Ludwig Finscher, Walter Wiora, Joseph Kerman, Hugh Macdonald, Linda Correll Roesner, Arnold Schoenberg, Laszlo Somfai, Donald Francis Tovey, Leo Treitler, and James Webster
FIRST EDITION, Volume 9. New York & London: Garland Publishing, Inc., 1985.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- ISBN: 0824074580
- Volume features blue cloth covers with gilt on rounded spine.
- Book displays minor overall aging and wear.
- Covers exhibit minimal overall rubbing and shelfwear, as well as a small bump to foot edge of back. (See photos)
- Spine shows minimal bumping to foot.
- Binding is secure.
- Interior exhibits minimal aging.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages 230-231 display a tiny residue at foot corners from insect having dried in the page. (See photos)
- Text block edges display some dust, more along head, as well as foxing to foot.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
289 pages. 8.75 x 11.25 inches.
Book features blue cloth covers with gilt lettering on rounded spine.
Volume includes scores, both in text and full-page pictures of manuscripts. Book puts together several essays with original page numberings in addition to volume page numbering.
This work puts together a collection of essays by distinguished writers to give an instructive overview of nineteenth-century music. The authors quote and analyse some of the most widely known pieces of that period, in a study that focuses on Beethoven, Schumann, Berlioz, Brahms, Liszt and Schubert, yet includes and refers to many more. The web of pieces and discussions create a fascinating and vast examination of the styles and tonal techniques of nineteenth-century composers to devise music of farther-reaching power and drama.
This volume is part of a vast collection of fourteen volumes on the history of Western Music. Purchase three volumes of the collection in one set! Volume 9, 10: Twentieth-Century Music, and 14: Approaches to Tonal Analysis, are available as a set.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
We invite you to view our Shipping & Returns policies, or to contact us with any questions.