MEMOIRS OF MILITARY SURGERY, AND CAMPAIGNS OF THE FRENCH ARMIES, by D.J. Larrey - 1814 [1st American Ed.]
Memoirs of Military Surgery, and Campaigns of the French Armies
by Dominique Jean Larrey
translated from the French by Richard Wilmott Hall M.D.
First American edition, two volumes. Baltimore: Joseph Cushing, 1814
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Navy buckram covers are nicely halfbound in light calf, with raised spine bands, navy labels and gilt titles.
- Boards show some signs of sunning at head and foot edges, edgewear. Corners are bumped. See photos.
- Spines have gilt text on navy labels which are bright, with sunned and bumped ends. See photos.
- Bindings are firm.
- Marble paper end papers/ pastedowns show little sign of age or wear Front pastedown Volume 1 is loose. See photos.
- Interiors are age-toned, with foxing throughout, some marginal staining, lower page corners turned back at front feps. See photos.
- Notes in pencil at rear feps, both volumes. Some adhesion of feps at back of Volume 2. See photos.
434 + 415 pages. 5 1/8 x 8 5/8 inches
First American edition in English of these two volumes of medical memoirs by the French surgeon and military doctor Baron Dominique Jean Larrey (1766-1842). An important innovator in battlefield medicine and triage, Larrey is often considered the first modern military surgeon. He traveled widely as the chief surgeon of Napoleon's army, and he wrote about the conditions particular to each region where he found himself.
These volumes cover campaigns in the Rhine, Corsica, Catalonia, Egypt, Syria; Boulogne, Ulm, and Auterlitz in Saxony; Prussia, Poland, Spain, and Austria.
The translator, Richard Wilmott Hall M.D., was Professor of Midwifery and of the Diseases of Women and Children in the University of Maryland.
First American Edition, from the Second French Edition. With notes by the translator.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore