SURGICAL MEMOIRS OF THE CAMPAIGNS OF RUSSIA, GERMANY, AND FRANCE, by D.J. Larrey - 1832 [1st ed. in English]
Surgical Memoirs of the Campaigns of Russia, Germany, and France
by Baron D.J. Larrey
translated from the French by John C. Mercer
First English edition. Philadelphia: Carey & Lea, 1832
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Leatherbound covers with gilt ruling and text, red label on spine.
- Boards show some age, wear, scuffing, edgewear. Corners are bumped and frayed, with exposed board. See photos.
- Spine has been repaired. Gilt text on red label is bright, ends are bumped. See photos.
- Binding is secure.
- Pastedowns and feps have some notable foxing, owner's marks, catalogue sale notice affixed to pastedown. See photos.
- Frontispiece, a portrait of Larrey, is present.
- Illustrations, five plates at rear, are clear. Plates exhibit foxing, stains. Fold-out plate has old tape repairs to closed tears at edge. See photos.
- Interior is gently age-toned, exhibits scattered foxing, as at pg. 220-221. See photos.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block has stippled edges.
293 pages. 5.25 x 8.25 inches
First edition in English of this volume of medical memoirs by the French surgeon and military doctor Baron Dominique Jean Larrey (1766-1842). Larrey distinguished himself in the French Revolutionary Wars and the Napoleonic Wars. An important innovator in battlefield medicine and triage, his is often considered the first modern military surgeon. Larrey's writings were widely translated; this American edition was translated from the French by John C. Mercer, medical student from Virginia, who dedicated his translation to the Surgeon of the U.S. Navy of the time, Thomas Harris M.D.
Five anatomical plates follow the text.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore