LOUIS HERMAN KINDER & FINE BOOKBINDING, by Richard J. Wolfe; Paul McKenna - 1985 [Ltd Ed:320/325]
ALouis Herman Kinder and Fine Bookbinding in America: A Chapter in the History of the Roycroft Shop
by Richard J. Wolfe & Paul McKenna
Number 320 of only 325 printed by the Bird & Bull Press. Highlights include 18 b/w illustrations along with 14 in color which are images of different bindings. Chapters cover Roycroft beginnings, After Roycroft, the Fine Bindings of Louis H. Kinder and several more followed by an appendix of a catalog of Kinder's bookbinding tools. 161 pages with index. 6.75" by 10".
Numbered Edition published by Bird & Bull Press. Newtown, PA. 1985.
Hardback is overall in NEAR FINE condition.
- Half bound in black leatherette spine with a red title block with red illustrated paper.
- Boards appear to be clear. May show very minor imperfections.
- Corners are sharp, with special binding wrap.
- Spine is square and firm.
- Binding is secure.
- Illustrations are crisp and clear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Fore and foot edges are deckled with minimal dust.
- Includes publisher-issued vinyl DJ, that exhibits limited shelfwear, and the expected ripples of age.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Roycroft was a reformist community of craft workers and artists which formed part of the Arts and Crafts movement in the United States. Elbert Hubbard founded the community in 1895, in the village of East Aurora, New York, near Buffalo. Participants were known as Roycrofters. The work and philosophy of the group, often referred to as the Roycroft movement, had a strong influence on the development of American architecture and design in the early 20th century.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore