A TALE OF THE HOUSE OF THE WOLFINGS, by William Morris - 1890 [Ltd. Ed.]
A Tale of the House of the Wolfings
and all the Kindreds of the Mark
by William Morris
Limited edition. Boston: Roberts Brothers, 1890
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Half cloth covers feature tan paper and cream cloth, with brown ink decorations, gilt text and sword emblem.
- Boards show some aging, smudges, scratches, edgewear. Corners are bumped and frayed, with exposed board. See photos.
- Spine is somewhat cocked. Titles in gilt; spine is darkened and mottled with crushed and frayed ends. See photos.
- Binding is firm. Stitching visible at some openings, e.g. pp. 48-49, 190-191. See photos.
- Patterned paper on pastedowns and feps is mostly clean. Feps are toned, show a bookseller mark. See photos.
- Frontispiece, a photo portrait of author with facsimile signature, is present and has intact tissue guard. Margins are foxed. See photos.
- Interior is age-toned. Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have deckle fore and foot edges, have gilt along head.
387 pages. 5.75 x 8.25 inches
William Morris (1834-1896), member of the British Arts and Crafts movement, wrote fiction in addition to designing the textiles that bear his name. Morris was perhaps the first modern fantasy writer to unite an imaginary world with an element of the supernatural, and as such he led the way for much of present-day fantasy literature. Written in both prose and verse, as the full title states, The House of the Wolfings influenced the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien.
This edition, of 500 copies, printed on large paper, was published by Roberts Brothers, 1890.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore