MOBY-DICK: OR THE WHITE WHALE, by Herman Melville - 1892 [2nd ed.]
Or the White Whale
by Herman Melville
Second edition. New York: United States Book Company, 1892
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Red cloth covers have tooled borders, with gilt title and tooled ornament on spine.
- Boards show some smudges, spots, bumps, edgewear. Corners are bumped and frayed, with exposed board. See photos.
- Spine has gilt text and is sunned. Repairs made to spine and ends. See photos.
- Binding is secure.
- End papers/ pastedowns have been replaced.
- Feps at back have some moderate staining. Small closed tear to edge of fep opposite half title page. See photos.
- Interior is gently age-toned. Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are untrimmed. See photos.
545 pages. 4.75 x 7.25 inches
Second edition of Melville's 1851 novel, published after his death in 1891 and copyrighted by his wife, Elizabeth S[haw] Melville. This is the alternate binding, with no whale on the front cover. Densely set type, yet highly legible with good print and paper quality.
Following the text of the novel are an Etymology and Extracts which occupy the last dozen pages of the book.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore