LES AMERICAINS, by Robert Frank - 1958 [First Edition]
photography by Robert Frank
texts edited by Alain Bosquet
First edition, in French. Paris: Robert Delpire, 1958
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Publisher's laminated boards designed with illustration by Saul Steinberg, as issued.
- Boards show some handling smudges, wear at shoulders, a ding at foot edge, scratches, edgewear. One corner heavily bumped. See photos.
- Spine has black text on turquoise band and is darkened with crushed ends. See photos.
- Binding is secure.
- Pastedowns and feps have notable foxing, age toning, owner's marks at rear. See photos.
- Title page has owner signature. See photos.
- Illustrations are bright and clear.
- Interior is uniformly age-toned. Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have dust at head, some edgewear at foot.
172 pages. Oblong quarto, 8.25 x 7.25 inches
Les Americains is the most well-known and most influential work by photographer Robert Frank (1924-2019). It is the end product of Frank's journeys around the United States, underwritten by a 1955 Guggenheim Fellowship. Frank traveled some 10,000 miles and took 27,000 photographs, from which he chose eighty-three for this book. Their of-the-moment style was radical at the time; that they look familiar now is proof of the tremendous influence Frank had on the generations of photographers who followed him.
This is the first edition, published in Paris, with texts in French by authors including William Faulkner, John Steinbeck, Simone de Beauvoir and others. Not the most beautifully packaged copy, due to the foxing on the end papers and age toning throughout. But Frank's work shines through in this volume, an at once clear-eyed and hopeful look at the photographer's adopted country.
First Edition; fifth volume of the collection "Encyclopedie essentielle" published by Robert Delpire and Jacques Monoroy. Printing completed May 15, 1958.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore