LA FILLE AUX YEUX D'OR, by Honore' de Balzac and Charles Conder - 1896 [1st edition]
La Fille aux Yeux d'Or
The Girl with the Golden Eyes
by Honore' de Balzac
translated by Ernest Dowson
illustrated by Charles Conder
First edition, translated into English from the French. London: Leonard Smithers, 1896
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Royal blue covers have gilt text and decoration.
- Boards show some smudges, scuffing at the shoulders, warping, edgewear. Corners are bent and frayed, with exposed board.
- Spine has gilt text and is darkened, somewhat cocked, with crushed, frayed ends.
- Binding is shaken (loose signatures but still attached), with some signs of separation and a couple of loose sheets at the Preface. See photographs for details of condition.
- Pastedowns and feps are age toned, have some light foxing, staining, worn edges, bookseller and owner's marks.
- Frontispiece is present.
- All six illustrations, wood engravings, are present.
- Interior is gently age-toned, with edgewear where page edges are uneven.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
107 pages. 6.5 x 10 inches
The last of the three stories known as the Histoire des Treize, part of Balzac's Comedie Humaine. Presented as a stand-alone work, translated into English by Ernest Dowson, with illustrations by Charles Conder.
First edition, with all six illustrations present. Binding is fragile, with signs of separation and some loose sheets.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore