LA ISTORIA UNIVERSALE, by Francesco Bianchini - 1697 [1st edition]$1,700.00
La Istoria Universale, Provata Con Monumenti, E Figurata Con Simboli de Gli Antichi
(Translation: Universal History. Proven With Monuments And Figurative Symbols Of The Ancients.)
by Francesco Bianchini
illustrated by Antonio Giuseppe Barbazza
Written in Italian, this antique quality leather bound first edition was dedicated to Prince Pietro Ottoboni. Includes frontispiece engraving, some maps, charts and other engravings and illustrations. 572 pages + Index. 7.5 x 10 inches.
Presumed first edition published by Antonio de' Rossi, Rome. 1697.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- In original leather, with pasted title plate on spine, along with gilt decorations and 5 raised bands.
- Paper is the wonderful heavy durable paper one expects from a quality 17th century binding.
- Front cover is loosely attached via minimal sewing.
- Binding is a bit loose and shaken, and there are gaps visible between some signatures at page gutters.
- Spine is missing 1.5" at tail and as much as 1" from head.
- Leather is scraped and scuffed. Edges have rubbing and corners are bumped.
- Some pencil marks on frontis and ffeps.
- Interior seems generally clean, with scattered foxing, light stains, warped paper, small marginal tears and other expected signs of aging.
- Back hinge is cracked, and pastedown has some staining.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore