JEAN BODIN AND THE RISE OF ABSOLUTIST THEORY, by Julian Franklin - 1973
Jean Bodin and the Rise of Absolutist Theory
by Julian H. Franklin
The 16th century in France saw the opposition of two parties of almost equal forces: on the one side, the Huguenots who extolled a radicalized version of the French constitution, justifying their resistance with the example of the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre of 1572, and on the other, the Royalists who endeavoured to bring about a come back of the Ancien Regime and absolutism. In these troubled times the doctrine of Absolutism was seen as the enemy, responsible for all the social ills of the period, and retrospectively still is today. Yet among them Jean Bodin, who systematically developed the theory of Absolutism, was unlike any of his intellectual peers. In this careful study of the theory as laid out by Bodin, is clearly explained the unique view of the jurist and philosopher. Professor of Government at the Columbia University, Julian Franklin delivers a subtle and thorough analysis of Absolutism as extolled by Bodin, to demonstrate that his theory was as new as that of the Constitution itself, advocating limited supremacy of the sovereign and an entirely unprecedented view of monarchy. Basing on Bodin's own words as found in his letters and literary works, the author closely follows the development of this theory, with a scope and insight that is sure to be thoroughly efficient to all scholars and students of this period in France. 124 pages. 6.25 x 9.25 inches.
Includes a preface, two appendixes, a bibliography and an index. Appendix A discusses Perpetuity as a Criterion of Sovereign Status. Appendix B is On the Question of Earlier Sources for Bodin's Idea of Indivisibility.
Presumed First Edition. Published by: Cambridge University Press, London & New York, 1973.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD- DJ.
- ISBN: 0521200008
- Volume displays minimal overall aging and wear to covers and interior.
- Turquoise cloth covers exhibit minimal edgewear with faint toning as well as minimal rubbing to corners.
- Spine features text as well as decorative line and design in gilt.
- Spine ends show minor softening and bumping, and are faintly darkened. (See photos)
- Binding is secure.
- Interior is well-preserved, showing minimal toning with faint foxing limited to copyright page.
- Textblock edges are mildly toned, with a couple of small stains corner side of head, as well as faint darkening along head.
- DJ is overall well-preserved, with scarce staining on front, and mild general edge toning which includes some shadowing on back and returns, and sunning to spine.
- DJ displays gentle edgewear, with rubbing of corners and spine ends, as well as small creases to upper corners of returns and a small tear to upper right corner on front. (See photos)
- DJ is clipped on bottom corner of return with price on top corner.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore