L'ART ABSTRAIT: 1939-1970, by Michel Ragon; Michel Seuphor - 1973
L'Art Abstrait: 1939-1970
(Abstract Art: 1939-1970)
by Michel Ragon and Michel Seuphor
Text is in French. Paris, France: Maeght Editeur, 1973.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD DJ.
- Volume features great color illustrated DJ, and black cloth covers with white and yellow text and line design.
- Book exhibits little overall wear and aging to covers, interior and DJ.
- Covers show minimal dust along edges. Front cover has slight concave bow. (See photos)
- Spine shows a slight bump to head.
- Binding is secure throughout.
- Interior is barely toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages 229-239 display some minor edgewear with two small bumps to foot edge. (See photos)
- Text block edges show a little dust along head and to foot corner.
- DJ looks great behind Mylar.
- DJ displays minor edgewear, mostly to spine ends and corners, with small tears to head of spine, and some of the Mylar chipping off.
- DJ additionally exhibits gentle overall toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
306 pages. 11.5 x 11.25 inches.
Volume features color-illustrated DJ wrapped in Mylar, and black cloth covers with yellow and white text and line design.
Volume contains 77 color plates and 311 B&W reproductions. Includes a list of illustrations as well as an end section of interviews and comments by several artists.
This fascinating volume examines the history of abstract art in specific in over 20 European countries from roughly 1939 to 1970. Placing each country into its historical context while discussing the art, it delves deeper into the profound meaning of abstract art in those countries. To achieve this work both authors have dealt with the subjects and countries of which they had the deepest knowledge, adding to their documented study some of the most emblematic texts, poems, and essays by contemporary artists and critics - from Eugene Ionesco the writer to Victor Vasarely the painter - constituting a masterful overview of a complex and many-sided subject.
Michel Ragon (b. 1924) is the author of various books on art, as well as a novelist and historian of modern architecture and urban ism. He served as President of the Association Francaise des Critiques d'Art. (French Art Critics Association)
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore