CRITICAL HISTORY...OF THE BRETONS AMONG THE GAULS, by Vertot [Vol.2, 1st Ed]
A Critical History of the Establishment of the Bretons Among the Gauls - Volume 2
by the Abbot of Vertot
translated by Mr. Henley
Volume two only.
Subtitle continues: "and of their dependence upon the Kings of France and Dukes of Normandy, by Monsieur the Abbot of Vertot, of the Academy Royal of Inscriptions and Belles Lettres. Done from the original French, Printed at Paris, by Mr. Henley."
London: W. Taylor, 1722.
Hardback is overall in FAIR condition.
- Full leather binding
- Darkened spine features five raised bands with rough ends
- No gift inscription or any other ownership marks
- Front board detached but included.
- Front board is stained and scuffed at left side
- Back board is scuffed
- Corners are scuffed and bumped
- ffep is loose
- Light to moderate staining to pastedowns and endpapers
- Small hole to back endpaper
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some text darkened, but all quite legible
- Scattered light to moderate foxing throughout
- A couple words written in ink on half title and title page
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
243 pages. 5" by 8"
This full leatherbound 18th century book features decorative and pictorial woodcuts for chapter headings, initial letters, etc, along with 5 raised on the spine
A scarce early-18th century history of Brittany, this is the rare study by the abbe De Vertot. In it he challenges the ancient Breton legends, claiming they were based on tales by later historians. Among the histories challenged are the legends of King Author, Merlin and the Knights of the Round Table.
René-Aubert Vertot, aka abbé de Vertot (1655-1735) was a French clergyman and historian. He wrote a number of European history books.
EDITION POINTS: This is Volume 2 ONLY of a very scarce history. It was originally printed in a very small run, and was considered quite scarce as early as 1816! Scholars note that this English version was printed simultaneously with the French edition. Title page declares this as a translation of the French.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.