COPP'D HILLS TOWARDS HEAVEN SHAKESPEARE AND THE CLASSICAL POLITY, by Howard B. White - 1970
Copp'd Hills Towards Heaven Shakespeare and the Classical Polity
by Howard B. White
Presumed First Edition. Published by: Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague, Netherlands, 1970.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD- DJ.
- Volume is in overall very good condition, with some toning and shadows inside mostly on pastedowns.
- Green cloth covers feature blind-tooled publisher logo on front, and display minimal toning.
- Spine features text in gilt, and exhibits some fading to ends, mostly foot.
- Binding is secure.
- Interior is minimally toned, with some offset shadows on pastedowns from DJ returns.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are a little dusty along head, and display a 0.5" long stain along front. (See photos)
- DJ displays moderate overall toning, with a shadow along upper edge and shoulder on back, and a line of light brown staining along shoulder on back as well as a small pencil mark to upper corner towards spine. (See photos)
- DJ exhibits some edgewear from rubbing, creasing and some small tears to upper edges and corners.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Shakespeare is rightfully regarded as one of the greatest poets of all times; seldom is he considered in light of the political theory that can be seen in his writings. This remarkable volume explores the political scope of Shakespeare's poetry and plays, and the philosophical depth of his characters and plots. The author uses five plays to deliver this fascinating study of Shakespeare political philosophy, developing his treatment of the ancient polis, and how he too can be considered retrospectively a political philosopher in his own right, in the same sense as Platon and Montaigne. The plays chosen as examples have been selected without regard to chronology or form, but entirely for their political and philosophical meaning and the depth of their interest in the human experience. The reader will emerge with a better understanding of Shakespeare beyond the poet and as the theorist he was, concerned with the improvement of man's social condition and institutions. 155 pages. 6.25 x 9.5 inches.
Includes a preface and an index of proper names. Includes many quotes in the text from the plays used as examples.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore