COL SIR ROBERT SANDEMAN: LIFE & WORK ON INDIAN FRONTIER, by Thomas H. Thornton - 1895
Colonel Sir Robert Sandeman: His Life and Work on Our Indian Frontier.: A Memoir, with Selections from his Correspondence and Official Writings.
by Thomas Henry Thornton, C.S.I., D.C.L.
Presumed 1st Edition. London, England: John Murray, Limited, 1895.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Navy blue cover features a gilt logo in the center.
- Boards show some shelfwear and edgewear.
- Corners are bumped and have fraying with exposed board. (See Photos).
- Spine has faded gilt text against a navy blue background.
- Binding is secure with a little play.
- Endpapers and feps have some light dirt marks. There are also pencil marks and a booksellers sticker on the front endpaper. (See Photos).
- Frontispiece is present and is bright and clear with a lightly foxed tissue guard.
- Foldout map is in color and in overall good condition with a 1 inch tear to the left side. (See Photos).
- Illustrations are clear.
- Interior is age-toned and exhibits minimal signs of age and wear, with scattered foxing throughout the book. (See Photos).
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block feature rough cut edges. (See Photos).
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
392 pages. 6 x 9 inches.
Sir Robert Groves Sandeman was born in 1835 and died in 1892. He was a British Indian Army officer and colonial administrator. He was known for his activities in Balochistan, where he introduced a system of "tribal pacification" that endured until the partition of India in 1947.
Author Thomas Henry Thornton was an English Indian Civil Servant, judge and author of two notable British Raj biographies. Thomas Henry Thornton was born in 1832, the son of a Times journalist, and educated at Merchant Taylors' School and read Classics and Modern history at St John's College, Oxford, at which he was afterwards a fellow. In 1855, Thornton entered the Indian Civil Service in the last few years of the East India Company as one of the first officers selected by competition. He was posted to the Punjab and played a small but distinguished role in the Indian Rebellion of 1857.
EDITION POINTS: Presumed 1st Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
We invite you to view our Shipping & Returns policies, or to contact us with any questions.