CAELICA, by Fulke Greville - 1936 [35/225]
Very gently used, with minimal commensurate aging. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE! Please see description for more details. AS IS.
by Fulke Greville, Lord Brooke
A most distinguished figure of eighteenth century Elizabethan England--having held several key political posts from Secretary and Member of Parliament to Treasurer for the Navy--Fulke Greville was a highly idealistic yet deeply sagacious personality whose temperament made him much appreciated by the queen and the society of his time. This collection of poems reveals the poetic and deeply pensive side of this extraordinary man's strange interior universe. A delight for any lover of ancient literature and fine poetry. 149 pages. 6.25 x 9.5 inches.
Limited Numbered Edition. No. 34 of 225 copies. "hand-set in thirteen-point perpetua type...printed on unbleached arnold hand-made paper, under the direction of James Wardrop, at the Gregynog Press, Newtown, Mongomeryshire." Includes an introduction and an index.
Published by: The Gregynog Press, Wales, 1936.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- Generous quarter bound leather, paired with striped buckram.
- Covers are in fine condition with bright gilt lines and minimal fading.
- Boards show some edgewear from darkening and very light rubbing.
- Corners are minimally bumped and slightly rubbed.
- Spine has bright gilt text and lines, and is sunned.
- Spine ends are minimally rubbed.
- Binding is firm and secure.
- Pastedowns show some signs of wear including slight toning, with a pronounced block near hinge that corresponds with leather binding. (See photos)
- Rear pastedown has printer stamp at lower edge.
- Interior is gently age-toned with heavy stock handmade paper, and expected deckled edges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.