THE SPORTING MAGAZINE, Bound: v.16, by J.Pittman with Nimrod - 1825 [rebacked]
The Sporting Magazine;
or Monthly Calendar of the Transactions of the Turf, the Chase,and Every Other Diversion Interesting to the Man of Pleasure, Enterprise and Spirit.
Vol.16 New Series or Vol 66 Old Series May - October 1825
by J. Pittman
Known in its day as one of the leading monthly publications, this publication had a reputation for detailed coverage of sporting events, including pistol duels. By the time of this publication, the editor had hired the renown Charles James Apperley writing under the pseudonym of Nimrod, to cover fox hunts. A number of engravings can be found, featuring horses, dogs and fowl. Includes "The Racing Calendar, 1825" supplement, listing the results of races by Meetings (from Anson Hunt to York August).
Half-bound in leather with marble boards. First Edition bound. 432 pages + 76 page supplement + 4 page index. 5.5 x 8.75 inches.
PLEASE SEE OUR OTHER LISTING for another bound set of these periodicals: Vol. 17: NOV 1825 to FEB 1926
Overall in GOOD condition.
- Original boards and leather corners.
- Beautiful professional rebacking (early 20th century?), preserving 3/4 of the original spine with matching gilt text and bands.
- Binding is tight.
- Plates are clean and in nice condition.
- Text block is solid with clean cut edges.
- Pages are lightly toned with light scattered foxing throughout.
- Some engravings have left ghosts on facing pages.
- Rubbed edges and corners with exposed board. Some scuffing to boards and leather.
- 1" tear with staining to front fep/hinge. Back hinge is cracked halfway from tail.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance