THE SPORTING MAGAZINE, Bound: v.17, by J. Pittman with Nimrod - 1825-1826 [rebacked]$195.00
The Sporting Magazine;
or Monthly Calendar of the Transactions of the Turf, the Chase,and Every Other Diversion Interesting to the Man of Pleasure, Enterprise and Spirit.
Vol.17 New Series or Vol 67 Old Series November 1825 - February 1826
by J. Pittman
Known in its day as one of the leading monthly publications, this publication had a reputation for detailed coverage of sporting events, including pistol duels. By the time of this publication, the editor had hired the renown Charles James Apperley writing under the pseudonym of Nimrod, to cover fox hunts. A number of engravings can be found, featuring horses, dogs and fowl. Includes "The Racing Calendar, 1825" supplement, listing the results of races by Meetings (from Anson Hunt to York August).
Half-bound in leather with marble boards. First Edition bound. 284 pages + 76 page supplement. 5.5 x 8.75 inches.
PLEASE SEE OUR OTHER LISTING for another bound set of these periodicals: Vol. 16: MAY 1825 to OCT 1925
Overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Original boards and leather corners.
- Beautiful professional rebacking (early 20th century?), preserving 3/4 of the original tolled and gilt decorated spine.
- Binding is tight.
- Text block is solid with clean cut edges.
- Pages are lightly toned with scattered light foxing throughout.
- Moderate musty scent from book upon thumbing.
- Some engravings have left ghosts on facing pages.
- Rubbed edges and corners with exposed board. Some scuffing to boards and leather.