WINNIE THE WAC, by Vic Herman - 1945 [DJ, Cartoons]
Winnie the WAC
A Cartoon Visit With Our Gals in the Army
by Vic Herman
Foreward by Carole Landis
Philadelphia: David McKay Company, 1945
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition, with a GOOD- DJ under Mylar.
- Illustrated paper over board covers feature cartoon with title in red.
- Boards show some age and heavy edgewear. Corners are bumped and frayed, with exposed board.
- Spine is a little cocked. Tan text is clear; ends are chipped and frayed. See photos.
- Binding is secure.
- Pastedowns and feps have some age toning and light staining. Multiple inscriptions addressed to Ruth, "Hot Dawg," from many friends and colleagues at Pyote AFB, seemingly on the occasion of her reassignment.
- Illustrations are bright and clear.
- Interior is gently age-toned. Inside pages have inscriptions, ditties, emendations to the cartoons, all designed to send personal messages to the book's recipient. See photos.
- DJ is nicely preserved behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- Close examination of DJ reveals separation at spine, sizable chips, bumping and rubbing.
Unpaginated. 5.5 x 7 inches
Book of cartoons dedicated to, and about, the WACs who served in World War II. Drawn by humorist and cartoonist Vic Herman, who was also serving in the Armed Forces. A foreward by actress and frequent USO entertainer Carole Landis.
This copy was used as a farewell card and gift, presented to one of the WACs stationed at Pyote AFB in Texas. Ruth, nicknamed "Hot Dawg," was leaving to a new assignment, and her companions on the base gave her this book and personalized it with good wishes, poems, and funny recollections.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore