WHAT MAD PURSUITS!, by Donald C. Gallup - 1998 [Signed 1st Ed]$70.00
What Mad Pursuits!
by Donald C. Gallup
In this fascinating book are presented the memories of the author as a collector of American literature. Gallup here tells of his experiences and work as a Yale librarian, and his hunt for the defining works of literature of our time. Some of his notable contributions include presenting a collection of works by the Victorian artist Edward Lear to the Yale Center for British Art--the largest single gift to the museum since its foundation, as well as for having edited and published an extensive series of works by some of the American masters of literature, Offering glimpses of other artists, booksellers, publishers, this memoir is a rare insight into the world of literature and book collectors. 316 pages. 6.25 x 9.25 inches.
FIRST EDITION. Signed and Inscribed by the author. Illustrated with black & white photographs. List of contents and of illustrations at beginning of volume. Index at end of volume.
Published by: The Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, New Haven, 1998.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with VERY GOOD DJ.
- ISBN: 0845731327
- Volume is in overall very good+ condition with minimal wear to covers and interior, and minor to DJ.
- Blue cloth covers display minimal fading to upper edges, and minimal rubbing to corners.
- Spine features text in gilt and has minimally worn ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Front endpaper facing pastedown shows ballpoint pen signature and inscription of author. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges present upon closer examination, some barely perceptible dust and smudges.
- DJ is in overall great condition, displaying minimal shelfwear with a 0.5" closed tear at head, as well as slight creasing to head edges.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore