THE PAGEANT OF PEKING, by Donald Mennie and Putnam Weale - 1920 [Ltd. 1st ed.]
The Pageant of Peking
photographs by Donald Mennie
text by Putnam Weale
First, limited and numbered edition. Shanghai: A.S. Watson & Co., 1920
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Blue silk covers are mostly clean, with gilt text and decoration.
- Boards show some age, smudges, warping, edgewear. Corners are bumped and frayed, with exposed board.
- Spine has some marks, with crushed, frayed ends. See photos.
- Binding is secure. Final sheet with colophon is partially detached. See photos.
- Pastedowns and feps have some light foxing.
- Illustrations are clear, plates are tipped-in, with marginal age-toning. See photos.
- Interior is gently age-toned, exhibits scattered foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Colophon has edition information and owner inscription by Walter H. Daub.
- Text block edges have deckle fore edges.
66 plates, 40 pages. 15 x 11.5 inches
Sixty-six Vandyck photogravure images of Peking and its environs, from photographs by Donald Mennie (1875-1944). Mennie was a Scottish businessman and amateur photographer living in China. His business interests in Shanghai centered on A.S. Watson, a company dealing in chemicals, wines, spirits, cigars, and photographic chemicals and materials. This volume was essentially published by Mennie, and it features classically composed views of gardens, buildings, and street views. The introductory text is by Putnam Weale, the pen name of Bertram Lenox Simpson, a British author and agent active in Chinese affairs.
This copy, #64 of an edition of 1000, bears the name of Walter H. Daub. His son, Walter H. Daub Jr. (Princeton University, Class of 1939) attended the Shanghai American School, possibly in the 1920s.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore