SIGNS IS SIGNS, by Royal Dixon - 1915 [1st Ed]
Signs Is Signs
by Royal Dixon
illustrated by L.S. Geer
Story vignettes about a black housekeeper raising 2 orphans "of means." B&W illustrations, both full page and inline. Author uses distorted spelling to give a feel of the African American vernacular of the early 20th century. Expected racial overtones for this vintage. 209 pages. 5.25 x 7.5 inches.
Royal Dixon (1885-1962) was an American author, animal rights activist and a member of the Americanization movement.
FIRST EDITION, published by: George W. Jacobs, Philadelphia, PA. 1915
For more books of Black Americana, please see the special section of our BigCommercestoreor website.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Red boards feature a B&W illustration sticker on front.
- Binding is firm and secure.
- Spine is slightly cocked with top overhang.
- Faded remnant of library sticker near tail of spine.
- Spine ends are bumped: head is firm, tail is softened.
- Covers exhibit some fading, light soiling and a few light stains.
- Some rubbing to perimeters, with a little fraying.
- Front hinge is cracked with stain at top.
- Hinge and head of spine may show signs of earlier professional tending.
- Illustrated pastedowns show portraits of 2 characters.
- Front pastedown is missing matching ffep, has a number in pencil, and creasing at right.
- Ffep has note in faint pencil.
- Interior is gently age toned with some light staining scattered throughout.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Ink at head of text block is mostly faded.
- Text block edges are a little dusty.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #artbooks #usedbooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore