VILHELM HAMMERSHOI AND DANISH ART AT THE TURN OF THE CENTURY, by Poul Vad; Kenneth Tindall (tr) - 1992
Vilhelm Hammershoi and Danish Art at the Turn of the Century
by Poul Vad
translated by Kenneth Tindall
Vilhelm Hammershoi was a leading Danish painter of his generation. In this illustrated book - winner of the Amelienborg Prize in its Danish version - the author examines the life and work of Hammershoi. He looks at Hammershoi not only as an important Danish painter but also in the context of European art in general at the beginning of the 20th century. His biography of Hammershoi is interwoven with readings of significant or characteristic works from each phase of the painter's career - from the interior paintings to the monumental figure compositions "Artemis" and "Five Portraits", in which Hammershoi introduced pictorial innovations and summed up his vision of the human condition. Translated from the original 1988 edition by Poul Vad. Includes biographical summary, bibliography, index of names, photographic credits, list of illustrations and more. 462 pages. 9.5" by 12.25".
Published by Yale University Press. New Haven and London. 1992.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition with a VERY GOOD DJ.
- ISBN: 0300049560
- Green cloth covers remain free of any major signs of age or wear.
- Boards exhibit subtle indentations along the upper and lower edges.
- Corners are sharp.
- Spine, featuring silver lettering, remains square and firm and exhibits gently bumped ends.
- Binding is firm.
- Interior is subtly age-toned along the perimeter though otherwise remains free of major signs of age or wear.
- Marginalia to the following pages: 185, 247, 277, 279-281.
- Text block edges are gently darkened and exhibits mild stains.
- DJ is gently age-toned and exhibits gently bumped edges, corners and spine ends.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore