THIS FORTRESS, by Manning Coles - 1942 [1st Ed]
by Manning Coles
1st Edition. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, Doran & com[any, Inc., 1942
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition, with a VERY GOOD+ DJ.
- Illustrated cover features red, blue and black drawing and the title in white lettering.
- Boards are in overall very good condition and show light shelfwear.
- Corners are bumped.
- Spine has red text against a blue background.
- Binding is strong and secure.
- Endpapers and feps have some light dirt marks.
- Interior is gently age-toned, exhibits minimal signs of age and wear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have foxing on the top edge. (See Photos).
- DJ looks great and is nicely preserved behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- Close examination of DJ reveals light edgewear and shelfwear, including tiny closed tears on the top edge on the back cover as well as the spine endes. (See Photos).
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
275 pages. 6 x 8 inches.
Manning Coles was the pseudonym of two British writers, Adelaide Frances Oke Manning and Cyril Henry Coles who wrote many spy thrillers from the early 1940s through the early 1960s.
This Fortress covers the life of Tom Langrish from the end of the last World War to the beginning of the present one. In the adjustment which he ha to make to the new postwar world, into which are mingled poignant memories of his stay in Germany at the romantic Scholl Rensburg and of its beautiful chatelaine, the Baroness Hildegarde, Langrash forgets his past and sinks completely into ville life in Westerly. But with the coming of war Tom found himself reliving the past, detail for detail when the young German parachutist is shot down in the field behind Westerly.
Edition Points: 1st Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore