THE UNKNOWN RIVER by Philip Gilbert Hamerton - 1887 [American Edition]
The Unknown River
by Philip Gilbert Hamerton
illustrated by the author
American edition. Boston: Roberts Brothers, 1887.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Red cloth covers are mostly clean, with gilt text and decoration on front cover.
- Boards show some wear, stains at shoulder, all edges squeezed. Corners are bumped and scuffed.
- Spine has gilt text and is somewhat faded and bumped, with bumped and crushed ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Ex libris book features an owner's bookplate on front pastedown.
- Endpapers and feps have some staining and owner's marks.
- Illustrations are bright and clear; some plates made impressions on facing pages i.e. page 69. Please see photographs for details of condition.
- Interior is gently age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have All Edges Gilt.
Preface 12 pages, text 70 pages, plus 37 plates. 6.75 x 9 inches.
Subtitled "An Etcher's Voyage of Discovery," with 37 illustrations etched from nature by the author, The Unknown River traces in words and etchings the author's travels by canoe in France. It is as much a story of etching as a method of artistic expression as it is about the places and people Hamerton encountered.
Bookplate on front flyleaf pertains to Frank L. Hadley, and features oil rigs in its central field.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore