FIVE AMERICAN IMMORTALS, by Joseph Auslander - 1940[Limited First Edition]
Five American Immortals
by Joseph Auslander
Limited first edition. Worcester, Mass.: Achille J. St. Onge, 1940.
Printed by D.B. Updike at the Merrymount Press, Boston, Massachusetts.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD++ condition.
- Blue cloth covers are bright with gilt stamped decoration and border.
- Boards show faint edgewear. Corners are sharp.
- Spine has gilt text and is slightly darkened with firm ends.
- Binding is tight.
- Endpapers show light age toning.
- Illustrations are bright and clear. Portraits are uncancelled postage stamps from the "Famous Americans" issues, second series (Poets). Each stamp is tipped in and set into a typeset ornamental frame.
- Interior exhibits minimal signs of age and wear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are cut and gilt.
50 pages. 2 1/8 x 3 1/8 inches.
A lovely miniature book, that shows many of the distinctive elements of the work of D.B. Updike at the Merrymount Press: Title Page ornamented with a decorative frame composed of type ornaments, Caslon type, "frames" surrounding each poet's portrait, fine paper stock.
Biographical and critical portraits of five American poets -- Henry Wordsworth Longfellow, James Russell Lowell, James Whitcomb Riley, Walt Whitman, and John Greenleaf Whittier -- with excerpts from each poet's work. The portraits which accompany each entry are uncancelled United States postage stamps, set into ornamental frames. The stamps come from the "Famous Americans" postal issues, second series (Poets).
This volume is part of a limited edition; only 475 copies were made.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
We invite you to view our Shipping & Returns policies, or to contact us with any questions.