THE STRANGER'S GUIDE...Of Washington DC, by E.S. Streeter - 1850 [w/Map]
The Stranger's Guide, or The Daguerreotype of Washington, D.C.
compiled by E.S. Streeter
Presumed First Edition, C. Alexander, Printer, 1850.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays gentle commensurate aging and wear.
- Covers are blind-tooled, and feature gilt lettering on front.
- Both covers show moderate fading as well as some overall staining.
- Boards display mild edgewear with moderately bumped corners.
- Spine is notably sunned.
- Binding is secure.
- Back hinge is bound with a gap to leave room for the map, with endpaper secured to bound edge of textblock. Back pastedown exhibits closed tears from ends: 1.5" from foot and .75" from head. (See photos)
- Front pastedown exhibits previous owner signature.
- Map is in well-preserved condition, with minor edge wear and moderate toning.
- Map displays occasional small holes as well as more pronounced toning along folds.
- Map exhibits a 1.5" tear along one of the folds. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned with light scattered foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Preface page has a 1" x 0.5" chip to lower corner. (See photos)
- Textblock edges show expected toning and some dust.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
36 pages. 3.25 x 5 inches.
This little guidebook of the city of Washington, D.C.--small in size, but not in information--offers information about its laws, monuments, and pieces of history... all in very fine type contained in a book no bigger than your hand! The volume offers an overview of the capital city of the US that is at once instructive and convenient. General information includes a description of the Smithsonian Institution only four years after its founding. The map completes the general historical and geographical briefing delivered by this easy-to-handle little book.
Volume includes a full-size fold-out map against back pastedown, presenting an overall view of the city and its quarters.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
We invite you to view our Shipping & Returns policies, or to contact us with any questions.