PHELPS' STRANGERS AND CITIZENS' GUIDE TO NEW YORK CITY - 1857 [Illustrated]
Phelps' Strangers and Citizens' Guide to New York City
With Maps and Engravings
by Humphrey Phelps
New York: Phelps and Watson, 1857
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Blue cloth covers have stamped and gilt title and decorations.
- Boards show some darkening, stains to back cover, edgewear. Corners are bumped and scuffed. See photos.
- Spine with no text is darkened with crushed ends.
- Binding is mostly intact; one gathering pgs. 65-68 is detached. See photos.
- Pastedowns and feps have some staining, a bookseller sticker, owner's marks. See photos.
- Remnants of a Street Guide affixed to back pastedown. Maps are NOT present.
- Illustrations, engravings of buildings and institutions, are clear.
- Interior is age-toned throughout, with some staining. See photos.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
72 pages. 3 3/4 x 5 7/8 inches
A pocket-sized guide to New York City, aimed at the visitor and citizen alike. In the Preface, the Publisher notes that New York is about to count one million inhabitants, the great commercial emporium of the United States. Furthermore, he says, "What New York is saying and doing is repeated and copied in every village of the Republic." Yet even those who live there may find themselves hard pressed to give directions to visitors. This guidebook, available for "a trifling sum," should be part of every household!
With descriptions of churches, institutions, places of worship and more. A pocket gazette of pre-Civil War New York City.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore