THE SPORTING RIFLE, by Walter Winans - 1908 [1st Ed]
The Sporting Rifle; The Shooting of Big and Little Game, Together with a Description of the Principal Classes of Sporting Weapons
by Walter Winans
A fascinating guide to any sort of wild game hunting from wild boar to deer, it is beautifully illustrated with photographs and drawings. This useful and elegant volume is complete with maps and fold-out diagrams providing invaluable information for a successful hunting experience, including details on firing positions and angles in reference to the target. Walter Winans (1852-1920) speaks from his own experiences as a hunter to deliver relevant information on all aspects of the sport.
A comprehensive handbook on the technique of hunting with rifles, Winans' work is as valuable for the skilled hunter as well as the armchair hunters who simply enjoy the subject. The latter will find this a key to the discovery of the thrilling world of hunting, while the former will return to it endlessly as a mentor for success in their favorite sport. 217 pages. 8.25 x 11.25 inches.
FIRST EDITION. Lavishly illustrated with black & white photographs and drawings, as well as maps and fold-out diagrams detailing firing angles according to targets.
Published by: G. P. Putnam's Sons, New York and London, 1908.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume is overall in very good condition with minor wear to covers and well-preserved interior.
- Brown covers feature text and illustration in gilt on front, and display minor overall rubbing.
- Boards exhibit minor edgewear from rubbing and scarce small bumps.
- Corners are rubbed. Lower corners are frayed.
- Spine features text in gilt, with mild overall rubbing and softening of ends, and light sunning.
- Binding is secure, and has a little play.
- Fold-out diagrams are well-preserved and intact.
- Interior is well-preserved with minor age-toning.
- Inside glossy pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- One page exhibits a chip to lower corner. (See photos)
- Textblock edges are mildly toned, with gilt along head, scarce scattered foxing, and some darkening to lower corner.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore