THE FALL OF TORNGAK OR THE MORAVIAN MISSION ON THE COAST OF LABRADOR, by J.W. Davey - 1905 [Photographs]
The Fall of Torngak
Or the Moravian Mission on the Coast of Labrador
by J.W. Davey
London: S.W. Partridge & Co., 1905
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Blue cloth covers have inked borders, ornament and illustration with gilt titles.
- Boards show some wear at shoulder, chips at opening edge, a few marks, edgewear. Corners are bumped and frayed, with exposed board. See photos.
- Spine has gilt text and black ornament, a little dimmed, with crushed, frayed ends.
- Binding is secure. Some signs of separation at front cover. See photos.
- Pastedowns and feps are toned, back fep is torn at head. See photos.
- Ex-library book with bookplate at front pastedown.
- Illustrations, photographs, are clear.
- Interior is age-toned, inside pages have scattered marginalia, some underlining.
- Publisher's catalogue to rear.
- Text block edges are stamped DISCARDED.
288 pages. 5 x 7.5 inches
In this scarce volume, only published in 1905, J.W. Davey shares an account of what was onsidered the dominion of the evil spirit of Torngak. The black mountains of Torngat rise on the western coast of the Labrador peninsula; upon a summit one could find the entrance to a deep cavern, once thought to be residence of Torngak, the spirit of evil. Rev. Davey aims at depicting the domain of this evil influence in the heart and life of the Eskimo, relying on the Moravian missions in Labrador, which focused on religious, social, and economic activities of the Inuit, for source material.
From the library of Moravian College, Bethlehem PA.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore