OEUVRES DE MAITRE FRANCOIS RABELAIS - c.1877 [6 Vols - Collected Works]
Oeuvres de Maitre Francois Rabelais 6 Vols
by Francois Rabelais
This handsome set of six volumes bound in vellum contains the 16th century French writer's probably most famous and celebrated work, Pantagruel and Gargantua. A work of striking originality and sometimes shocking frankness, it is typical of Rabelais' somewhat crude yet spirited style. Audacious to the readers of his time and even of ours, it offers moral and life lessons of great value to who knows how to appreciate the entertaining story of the giant Pantagruel. Here is a beautiful edition of a celebrated work, with text in French and the elegant font of the time. 212 (vol 1) + 187 (vol 2) + 244 (vol 3) + 281 (vol 4) + 198 (vol 5) + 218 (vol 6) pages. 4.25 x 6.75 inches.
Six volumes. Text in French. Table of contents at the end of each volume. Sixth volume contains comments with explanation of terms.
Published by: Delarue, Libraire-Editeur, Paris. circa 1877.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volumes are in overall very good condition with some mild toning inside.
- Covers have a beveled fore edge.
- Textblocks and covers exhibit notable warping, consistent to individual volumes, some more or less so that none rests square on a table.
- Boards are wrapped in vellum, and have occasional foxing and minimal edgewear.
- Sunned spines feature text in faded gilt, and have gently rubbed ends.
- Some covers are darkened in some places. (See photos)
- Interior is in nice condition in all volumes with mild overall toning.
- Textblock has all edges gilt.
- Binding is delicate in all volumes yet mostly firm and intact.
- Endpapers display some toning and warping, with a little edge tears and soiling.
- Ex libris embossing at foot corner of title page.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Volumes 2,3 and 6 exhibit some darkening and foxing on covers.(See photos)
- Volume 2 has damage to ffep foot corner.
- Volume 5 is moderately foxed on front.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
François Rabelais (1494-1553) was a French Renaissance writer, physician, Renaissance humanist, monk and Greek scholar. He has historically been regarded as a writer of fantasy, satire, the grotesque, bawdy jokes and songs. [Wikipedia]
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore