METHODE DE COMPOSITION ORNEMENTALE, by Eugene Grasset - ca. 1900 [1st Ed., 2vols.]
Methode de Composition Ornementale, 2 vols.
by Eugene Grasset
First edition, text in French, two volumes. Paris: Librairie Centrale des Beaux Arts, ca. 1900.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Blue cloth covers show commensurate wear and dirt.
- Boards show some aging, edgewear. Corners are scuffed and frayed.
- Spine has gilt text and is faded, with softened ends.
- Binding is contemporary but not original.
- Endpapers and feps have light to moderate staining, owner's marks.
- Volume 2
- has a crack between front cover and spine. Please see photograph for condition details.
- Illustrations are clear, all plates are present.
- Interior is age-toned, with marginal toning and some smudges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are dusty and show edgewear in places.
Vol.1 384 pages; Vol. 2 496 pages. 9.5 x 12.25 inches.
Eugene Grasset (1845-1917) was a Swiss decorative artist who worked and taught in Paris during the Belle Epoque. He designed furniture, wallpapers, fabrics, and tapestries as well as ceramics and jewelry. His fine art decorative pieces were crafted from ivory, gold, and other precious materials in unique combinations, and his creations are considered a cornerstone of Art Nouveau motifs and patterns. His work in graphic design, poster art in particular, made his designs known around the world.
Grasset taught design at several art schools in Paris; the two volumes of Methode de Composition Ornementale lay out the principles of ornamental composition that he taught in his courses.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
We invite you to view our Shipping & Returns policies, or to contact us with any questions.