MEDITATIONS AND CONTEMPLATIONS, by James Hervey, A.M. - 1816 [2 Vol]$110.00
Meditations and Contemplations
by James Hervey, A.M.
2 Volumes. New York: J. Soule & T. Mason, 1816
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Leather bound brown covers are in overall very good condition.
- Leather boards show some shelfwear and edgewear.
- Corners are bumped with scuffed leather. (See Photos).
- Spine has six raised bands with gilt lines and the title is in gilt in a black box.
- Binding is strong and secure.
- Endpapers and feps have pencil writings as well as chipped corners. (See Photos.
- Frontispiece is present and is age toned and foxed. (See Photos).
- Illustrations age toned, with scattered foxing. (See Photos).
- Interior is age-toned, exhibits minimal signs of age and wear, with heavy scattered foxing. (See Photos.)
- Text block edges have staining, foxing and signs of dust. (See Photos).
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
200 pages. 3 x 5.5 inches.
Author James Hervy was born at Hardingstone, near Northampton, and was educated at the grammar school of Northampton, and at Lincoln College, Oxford. Here he came under the influence of John Wesley and the Oxford Methodists, especially since he was a member of the Holy Club. Ultimately, however, while retaining his regard for the men and his sympathy with their religious aims, he adopted a thoroughly Calvinistic creed, and resolved to remain in the Anglican Church. His style is often bombastic, but he displays a rare appreciation of natural beauty, and his simple piety made him many friends. His earliest work, Meditations and Contemplations, said to have been modeled on Robert Boyle's Occasional Réflexions on various Subjects, within fourteen years passed through as many editions.
EDITION POINTS: 2 Volumes
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore