LETTERS OF ENGLAND: COMPRISING DESCRIPTIVE SCENES WITH REMARKS ON THE STATE OF SOCIETY..., by Joshua E. White - 1816 [Vol I]
A GOOD scarce early 19th century publication, with legible type to an age-toned and foxed interior, securely bound in moderately worn leather. The spine features a red title block with gilt lettering a six gilt bands and shows a .75" chip missing from the head where there was once a seventh gilt band. The front board is partially detached though intact. Used. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Please see detailed condition and more photos in description.
Letters on England: Comprising Descriptive Scenes with Remarks on the State of Society, Domestic Economy, Habits of the People, and Condition of the Manufacturing Classes Generally. Interspersed with Miscellaneous Observations and Reflections.
by Joshua E. White
A very scarce 1816 publication bound in full leather. Volume I offers letters covering a wide variety of topics such as Herculaneum poetry, prostitutes, cleanliness of the servants, observations on state traveling, prejudices of Englishmen regarding the United States, the mode of making coak, disgraceful inscription on a monument and much more. 355 pages with extensive notes followed by two pages of places visited by the author.
Published by M. Carey. Philadelphia, PA. 1816.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Bound in full leather, the boards show edgewear and scuffing to the finish with more extensive wear along the perimeter and rear.
- Corners are bumped and worn with partially exposed boards.
- Spine shows wear to the finish and features red title block with gilt lettering and six remaining gilt bands with a .75" chip missing from the upper portion of the spine that included a seventh band; signatures are exposed. Please see photos.
- Front hinge is cracked and partially detached though remains intact.
- Interior, including all endpapers, is age-toned with foxing though the type remains legible.
- Front pastedowns bears writing in pencil to the top left corner.
- Textblock edges are age-toned with foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore